Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Detour to Tralee - Day 018

I bought a ticket from Dublin to Dingle. I got to the bus station and gave the clerk my printed out e-ticket. She told me I would have to change buses in Limerick and in Tralee. When I got on the bus I was very tired and I went all the way to the back of the bus. I put my bag on the seat, leaned up against my bag and stretched my legs out over the remaining 3 seats. I took a long nap. I kept waking up at the stops to ask other people on the bus if it was Limerick. Before I was prepared, the answer was yes. I hurried off the bus. Not long after I hopped off the bus, I looked at the ticket in my hand - "Dublin to Cork (or somewhere) April 25th"... I grabbed someone's old ticket off the seat and mistook it for my own. The bus I so recently hopped off of was nowhere to be seen. I asked the ticket booth clerk for help and she told me I would have to talk to the bus inspector. Many people told me the whereabouts of the bus inspector but he wasn't to be found anywhere until more and more people were looking for him. When he was found I was happy that he was very nice. His Irish accent was so thick I couldn't understand a word he said; well, except for saying if I was English he would've shot me because he shoots English. He said that about 4 times. He put me on the bus to Tralee and phoned ahead to let them know my situation. I thanked him very much and went on my way.

I got to Tralee later than anticipated and I had missed the last bus going to Dingle. They said they could put me on the first one in the morning. I found dinner at this bar that was infatuated with horse racing and betting. I was very out of place, but it was fun. Tralee is like a little town out in the woods, so it didn't feel too odd to me to camp out. I found a nice spot and slept for the night; my first night camping out in Europe. It was quite nice, actually. The weather was very peaceful. It was an adventurous day and I slept it off well!
Budget:

Breakfast: Free
Dinner: €3.50 (Don't think I was skimping out, Tralee was cheaper than Dublin)

Total: €3.50 ($5.45)

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

That sucks that you lost your ticket, but good that you still made it. Camping sounds fun. Glad you finally updated us.:)