Friday, July 18, 2008

Genova


I went to Genoa without knowing anything about it. It is a very big city and it is on the Mediterranean. Well, actually it is on the Ligurian Sea, all this time I have been calling all the water around Italy the Mediterranean, I am learning.

I met some Italian guys one night. I was walking around looking for a place to eat and I wandered into this place where some people were spending their evening chatting away like old pals (well actually they probably were old pals). Only one of them spoke English, his name was Pino. I had a lot of fun hanging out with them. To go with my dinner I ordered milk and they kept laughing that I ordered milk, they would say, "Vino! Vino!" They wanted to know how my dinner was and even though it was obvious by the plastic container and lid that it was a microwavable dinner, I said, "Magnifico!" And I told Pino to give my compliments to the chef. They laughed.

Pino wanted me to meet his friend Chichi who has traveled all over the world and is proud that he only knows how to speak Italian. We were outside when Chichi was approaching and Pino told me to say, "Ciao, Chichi! Como estai?" When I did, Chichi was very befuddled and just stared for awhile. Then Pino started laughing and Chichi could tell we were joking with him. Pino told him I was Americano and then we talked about traveling for quite a while.

I saw my Italian friends the next day and they gave me their email addresses and the address of the bar so I could send a postcard from Greece and America. I also had dinner again and this time instead of milk I had Vino! :)
By the way, I cut my hair recently.

No comments: