Friday, June 13, 2008

Vienna

Vienna, Austria!

I happened to land my arrival in Vienna on the beginning weekend of the big fußball tournament, Euro 2008. Not only was it the opening weekend of this big tournament, but Vienna happened to be one of two hosts for the tournament. The whole entire city was pretty chaotic. Sites that I wanted to see were blocked off and only the beer-drinking fußball fans were allowed on the other side. It was quite a party though. They had giant televisions and I think people even slept out there.

The way a large part of the world unites through fußball is really quite impressive. In the U.S. from coast to coast we have one country and one language. Coast to coast over here is very different. So many languages, and so many countries that have had a lot of trouble living next to each other for so long. It is really amazing to see how much everyone seems to get into fußball and they really seem to forget all the differences they have had in the past. I don't know for sure really, but so far it seems that way.

Large groups of fans parade through the city wearing their country colors and shouting their teams' songs. All over the city this was happening. The pride people have in their country's team is something very different from supporting a professional team in the U.S. I still don't think it would get me into sports though. Haha, I'm just teasing.



I wish I had better pictures. It looks like I have none of the enthusiastic fans. I might get another chance though. They aren't only in Vienna.

Oh, and I saw some more exotic pianos. This piano was Bösendorfer's submission for a World's Fair contest in Paris. I can't find online or remember what year it was. The piano far surpassed any of the other pianos entered in the contest, but was disqualified due to its failure to arrive to the fair on time. I think if I were to purchase a flake of paint from this piano my trips' savings would be gone.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Go soccer!

Anonymous said...

Futball!!