Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tour guide


This morning I arrived in Prague by a night train I took from Krakow. I accidentally took the train one station (or two) too far. As I was walking across the far parts of the city I was thinking about the scenario of me as a tour guide and it seemed funny enough to me that I thought I would share it.

If I started my own tour company it would be a little like Kramer's Peterman Reality Bus Tour. In case you aren't familiar with the television sitcom Seinfeld (probably the only show I enjoy watching), or the episode about which I am talking about I will summarize it a little. Parts of Kramer's life story are used for someone else's biography. He starts up a tour showing and partaking in mundane events of his everyday life. I was thinking I would probably be a similar tour guide and was imagining some of the complaints people might have. By the way, I often have imaginary conversations in my head. I once told my brother (this was not imagined) that I have more conversations with people I know in my head than I do in real life. Anyway, I have prefaced enough... (I may delete this post if I think later it is too strange)

Tourists: "Shouldn't we take the bus to get downtown like all the other backpackers are doing?"

Me: "No! Inner-city public transportation is a scam!"

Tourists: "Are we gonna eat anything besides kebabs and ice cream?"

Me: "No! Well... maybe some fruit."

Tourists: "Shouldn't we get a map?"

Me: "No! Lol."

More explanation: recently, I have been giving into every food craving instead of eating actual meals. I do not think it has affected the way I spend money at all, so I am happy to eat on the go and at whatever pace I choose. I really like kebabs, they are something I could see my dad making. I will try to remember to take a picture of one sometime soon. Also, ice cream is one of my biggest weaknesses, even in the states. Over here they have ice cream stands all over. I have been eating a lot of ice cream lately. When my conscious gets to me about my eating habits, I eat some fruit. And the last explanation, I enjoy getting lost.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Getting lost can be fun. And eat all the ice cream you want. :) Michelle and I didn't end up getting ice cream to go with our brownies. :( Oh well. We'll have to eat some brownies and ice cream when you get back.

Joshua said...

Thank you, Cheryl, I love your comments too!

Anonymous said...

Don't even think of deleting this post--it's great! I can't wait till your dad, brother, and sister read it!

Anonymous said...

You're an excellent writer! You followed your very serious and sad post (but necessary) by a much lighter one! Thank you for giving us more of your blog!

Joshua said...

Thank you Mom and anonymous! :D

Katie Ledington said...

I love this entry. You are a hoot. I'm glad you are having a good time...even if it is in an imaginary conversation...you know how I always say the really good imaginary convos out loud? yaha- I'm super glad you did that too.

Joshua said...

Thank you, Katie :D

Anonymous said...

I read your comment a couple of postings back in which you said you are finding more things you want to see. Although it may not seem that way now, you will probably be back in the future. You can see missed things then.

In Augsburg it was not entirely clear to me exactly where the Augsburg Confession was read. I think it was in a large Roman Catholic church on the south end of the downtown area, but it may also have been in another church a mile or so away. We picked up a booklet about it, and like a lot of other booklets we have, we put it into a drawer. We have not read it, yet.

We were in Worms, too. The building in which the Imperial Diet was held was sacked and burned by invaders in 1638. You can stand on a brick pavement where the building once stood.

We have been in or near Nürnberg on two trips. I would like to have seen the Hall of Justice where the war trials were held after WW II, but have not. We did see Albrecht Dürer's home and the tour of it was nice.

Some museums have English language placards, or even self-guided tour tapes in English. In others the materials and the guides offered are German language only. I may have told you that a guide at the Guttenberg Museum in Mainz asked for someone in the audience who could interpret in English for her. When no one else volunteered, I did. It went pretty well and several people who knew no German appreciated it very much.

Sometimes booklets for sale in a museum will be offered in English. The Mercedes-Benz museum in Stuttgart sells a nice booklet that is available in French and in English, but not in German.