Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Well it happened

I know I'm a very optimistic person. I know I'm very trusting of people. I thought my stuff was safe when it was with me and if I was in public view. But today I got my laptop stolen right out of my hands in the middle of the day and in a very public place. I had just opened it to look at some directions I had on it. I closed it and was putting it in my bag. Someone ran up to me, grabbed it and shoved me, I tried grabbing it back and I got shoved to the ground. He ran out the door and I chased him. I abandoned my bag which also wasn't very smart, but I really wanted my laptop back. I ran after him as best I could yelling stop and help and everyone just watched as if it were a game we were playing. I knew they probably didn't understand what I was saying but certainly they knew what was going on. I chased him to the street where a white car was approaching. The door opened and he got in. I was right behind him and I tried to grab it again. Again I got pushed and I fell backwards into a puddle. This time when I tried to get up and run the car was speeding away and my legs gave out. I got back to my bag and it was untouched.

Well, I'm hoping it goes better from here!

I'm in my hostel now on their internet. EVERYONE has laptops here it seems. It is sooo frustrating to know I just had mine and I've replayed the scene of getting it stolen so many times, wishing it wouldn't have happened. If I was Jason Bourne I totally could've dropped that guy. But alas, I am Joshua Houston and I was very helpless.

10 comments:

Megan said...

am so sorry--that is incredibly rotten.

Anonymous said...

I know it sucks big time, Josh....but I'm still very thankful that you're okay....and so was your backpack. If you will remember correctly, Jason Bourne had stuff stolen all the time.

mike houston said...

josh, even the score. steal one of those people in the hostel's laptops.

sorry buddy, just trying to cheer you up.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jason - I mean Josh! You're not helpless, you're just not quite up to par with Jason Bourne or Jack Baurer - YET! By the end of your European adventure you will probably surpass them both with your wiley and worldy ways.

I am very sorry this happened - Megan had a very bad start to her Italy trip this last January when someone bumped her really hard and stole her billfold with all her credit cards and cash. She got past it and went on to have a fantastic adventure. I know you will too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joshua Bourne....next time get a rock and make it into a gun ... no two rocks and a string for a sling tripping thing... no no a stick with a rock on the end to knock car window out ... oh heck just come and vote for Hillary-- bad euro guys will be laughing so hard no time to do crime.

Unknown said...

Not Cool Mike... Not cool...

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Josh. That guy is a looser and something bad is going to happen to him. Maybe he got his butt kicked later that day or something....I am a firm believer that what goes around comes around...Nicole

mike houston said...

i like the two rocks thing. use the two rocks and a stick to steal somebody elses laptop...

steal a macbook air though this time.

Lenny said...

Josh,

Double Yowza, that's really crummy. Don't blame yourself. Sounds like it was a set up and those bozos were looking for a trusting soul to rip off. What's the french word for thief? :-)

Anonymous said...

Did you have the tracking thing installed so they could find it? That sucks.