Thursday, May 29, 2008

I make a new start




I have some pictures from Paris. I'm planning on coming back to see everything I want to see. I wasn't ready this first time. The cities of Dublin, Edinburgh, and London were a soft and easy introduction to traveling and I was not prepared for how vunerable I would be in the non-English speaking countries.

I'm still a target for thieves, with or without my gadgets. Yesterday, I walked a block to a laundromat from my hostel. There were some American girls doing laundry in there at the time I started mine. They finished though and then it was just me. I was seated at a table reading, and a man walked in and just looked at me. He didn't say anything, he clearly wasn't there to do laundry. And I was merely a lone, lorn traveler. I "looked at my watch" and then put my book in my backpack and put my backpack on and stood by the dryer. He remained there just looking at me for a moment and then decided to go.

After that, I put EVERYTHING in a locker in the hostel except for my camera to go out sight-seeing. I'm going to try to carry as little as possible with me from now on any chance I get. Anyway, I've learned a lot. The first part of the trip through the UK feels like a totally different part of the trip. So I'm just saying I'm starting again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eh, don't let the bad guys ruin things for you. The U.S can be pretty scary, too. Maybe you should invest in some mace- just keep yourself safe.