Friday, July 11, 2008

To Brussels or... Minden?



As I left Germany, there were still a few towns I would've liked to have visited, but since I felt I needed to venture on towards Italy and Greece they were moved to later in my itinerary. Minden was one of them.

A benefit of traveling alone is that I don't have to feel responsible enough to stick to any plans. I knew of one hostel in Brussels but to my surprise they were booked for the night. The first thought I had: I'll go to Minden. So, after a night's sleep on the train traveling from Belgium through Germany and then a pretty lucky guess of taking the train from Hannover, I arrived in Minden, Germany.

My Grandpa Loris's grandparents were from Minden and I am very glad I took the chance to go visit because it was a lovely city. I enjoyed the charm of the old German houses and the many German shops in the center of town. Also, early the next morning I took a very nice and long walk along the river. Then I left in time to take a connecting night train to Brussels and see what I had missed just the day before.

1 comment:

Katie Ledington said...

That is an awesome way to spend an evening and next morning lol. you don't waste any time!