Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In Bruges





Bruges was a charming little city. Even though it was noticeably a touristy city in the daytime, by nightfall it was one of the quietest cities I've been to. Since Bruges was my first city in Belgim I had to try some Belgian chocolate because I have read that it is the best in the world. It was pretty good to be honest! I also bought some 1/2 chocolate 1/2 white chocolate asparagus sticks. Those were good, too, and I ate them very quickly even though the cool weather would've permitted me to carry them around for a while.

Later, I walked up the 366-staired clock tower, which gave a great view of the city. And I went to the cathedral that houses the only known Michelangelo outside of Italy. The statue was the Madonna and Child. It was so tiny but yet so magnificent. I am excited to see more Michelangelos in Italy.

The day I left it was pouring down rain! I guess that is typical of Belgium's weather. It was actually a lot of fun. Very often I enjoy rainy weather. The only downside was that I didn't want to get my camera out and I passed up a gorgeous picture of swans swimming on water of a million ripples from the falling rain through the lushest lillies of lala-land. It was quite a moment. I'll have to draw you a picture later. :)
This is what I sleep in when I camp out. I am not in it, btw, my backpack and sleeping bag are in there.

1 comment:

Katie Ledington said...

don't you ever feel claustrophobic in that little bivey?