Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A sample of my thoughts on spending money

I have found in the cities I have been to so far, that while walking down the major streets the cafés are all begging you to eat there where they serve the authentic food of the locals. A reasonable price for a dish at most of these cafés would be about 6 pounds or something. I prefer to pass on eating the local dish, I prefer to buy picnic food at a market for under 3 pounds, and take it somewhere outside to eat alone, like on the side of a hill where I can view the city at sunset, or on the steps of a cathedral. The cafés are tempting, I will admit. So is the ice cream, the many different kinds of crêpes, the pizza, and the beer. I will eat crêpes along my trip, I will eat at the cafés, I will eat pizza. The temptation for this food that will not fit in my budget is there daily though. If I am proud to be disciplined enough to avoid these treats regularly, I am not cheating myself out of anything.

There are subjects other than food I could discuss, obviously, but it all is pretty much the same principle. I will spend what money I need to when there is something I am really looking forward to do. Until then, I am having a wonderful time, please do not think because I am trying to make my money last that I am missing out on fun.

No comments: